Thursday, July 5, 2018

Tarot Of The Day July 5, 2018 - Day 17: The Raven’s Prophecy Deck - Temperance

Tarot Of The Day July 5, 2018 - Day 17: The Raven’s Prophecy Deck - Temperance

I have begun the creation of an 89 day tarot course in a group I am a member of on Facebook ('A Kaleidoscope of Magical Perceptions' is the name of the group, please feel free to request membership - it is full of fun people and really great posts about all manner of topics) and I thought I would cross post the information here to this blog as well. Once the initial 89 days of the course have passed, it will start over using a different tarot deck. The text of the seventeenth session follows.




Temperance, in the Rider-Waite deck, takes the form of a red winged angel, with one foot on the shore of a river, one foot in the waters, with a golden goblet in each hand, pouring water from one to the other. On the horizon, in the distance, the sun is rising or setting between two peaks of a mountain range. Beside the angel on the shore grow yellow irises. 

The Rider-Waite booklet lists the following keywords for Temperance: economy, moderation, frugality, management, accommodation (upright,) things connected with churches, religions, sects, the priesthood, also unfortunate combinations, disunion, competing interests (reversed.)

To me, the Temperance card is about balance, a carefully curated and crafted balance that takes a certain amount of maintenance, one where you must combine different and opposing elements to find harmony.




Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven’s Prophecy deck shows Temperance as a moment in time, frozen - the moment of a droplet of water falls into a body of still water. She writes: “I used to hate getting this card in a reading. I didn’t know how to read it. Actually, that’s not true. I knew exactly how to read it; I just didn't like it. I don’t much care for moderation, or tempering my interests, or maintaining a healthy balance between work and play. I like zeroing in on a project and then going full throttle until either my body breaks down by the side of the road or I get to the end of the project. Temperance suggests, gently, that I might reconsider this strategy. After the transformative experience of the Death card, theoretically we emerge as a somewhat more evolved being. We are beginning to learn to control ourselves, we’re getting a better handle on what we want out of life, and now, well over halfway through the major arcana, is not the time to go dashing about after every short -term whim.”

Maggie’s keywords for Temperance are moderation, balance, and compromise.

Tomorrow - The Devil

All of the lessons will be cross posted to my blog at http://ouroborostarot.blogspot.com, and at my Ouroboros Tarot Page here on Facebook.

***TOTD will cover the entire 78 card Raven’s Prophecy Deck alongside the Rider-Waite deck for comparison. In order to not completely burn out, this course of lessons will be 89 days long, so that every Saturday I can break the lessons up by doing a practicum lesson. Practicum lessons will take the form of a layout or spread that I will walk you through the steps of interpretation for. After the first 89 day session ends, we will start over with a one day break for a poll to be done to see what deck everyone wants to see next round. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment