Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Daily Draws...To Pass the Time

So, as I'm still so very, very behind on the Tarot of the Day posts where we break down and compare the meaning and art work of the Raven's Prophecy Deck, I'm going to at least try to provide SOME kind of content in the form of some daily draws, quick three card reads, and the like.  I'll be sharing these posts on my Facebook group, A Kaleidoscope of Magical Perceptions , and on my Ouroboros Tarot Facebook Page as well.

So, without further ado, 

THE DRAW:





Here is, upon my very cluttered and messy desk, a quite random 3-card draw, drawn with nothing in particular in mind other than I wanted three cards to talk about for a basic  simple draw. Now, there are many ways to interpret a 3 card draw - a simple search on Pinterest will reveal many, many different ways to structure a three card spread - but I like to see what the cards have in store before I decide the structure. Sometimes, they are the better guide that the structure we impose upon them, when it comes to storytelling.

I drew The Chariot, in reverse, the 10 of Dynamism (Swords), and the 10 of Questing (wands). 

The Chariot, when seen in reverse, references defeat, collapse, and vengeance. This is very much in line with the following card, the 10 of Swords, which is infamously the 'worst' card in the tarot, only slightly less notorious than the Tower, Death, and The Devil cards. The 10 of swords is the last in a progression from the Ace to the 10 of increasing negativity. It represents ruin, the fear of ruin, pain, mental despair, and paradox.  The final draw is the 10 of Wands, which, like is counterpart in the swords, is not the most friendly card. It speaks to oppression, burden, trial, ruin, disruption, failure, limitations, restrictions, and holding back.

Together, these three cards are not a pretty picture. they speak to the subject of the reading's lack of forward motion, and to their state of mind regarding their ability to reach personal and professional goals. They describe a very bleak outlook and future, one filled with a total breakdown, the subject reaching rock bottom, and not only reaching it, but finding themselves trapped there by their own inability to act to remove themselves from the situation they find themselves in. If I were with a client, and this draw came up, I'd ask probing questions and see where they are in their life. This draw could be a warning, or a starting point. It could be saying "this is where you are or have been." or it could be saying "this is where you are headed now".  

It is hard for me to explain how you determine what the message is to the client - it takes a lot of practice and learning to understand the client when they tell you about themselves, learning to infer and read between the lines. A huge part of reading the tarot is, in my experience, all about human psychology. Knowing what the cards mean and how they relate to one another within the context of the layout you use is very important, but if the client doesn't relate to the story you are telling them, then it's time to look again and find THEIR story.

ABOUT THE DECK:







The deck I am using here is my go-to deck, the Mage: The Ascension Deck by White Wolf. The deck is no longer in print, and the one I am using is a first edition from the 1990's. I have a later edition  in my collection that I keep as a backup and that my fiance occasionally uses when we do our rare tandem tarot sessions, where we both use the same deck at the same time to do readings for people. It is not only my favorite deck, but the most matter-of-fact and honest deck I have ever come across. It really 'tells it like it is' and doesn't sugarcoat things like so many other decks I have used over the years. (And I have used SO MANY!) My copy of the deck has been my personal deck for about 21 years now, and has been chewed on by my now 19 year old daughter, has water stains, and nearly every card is creased form all of the shuffling. It is well loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment